Remembering

I found this picture of me with my baby, Colby, taken at the hospital the day we brought him home, and I gasped at how much he’s changed in just four short months. There’s a lot to motherhood that seems to go sloooooow. The potty-training, the before-bed meltdowns, the messes, the neediness, the nighttime wake-ups. And you think, “will my kids be this hard forever? Will I ever sleep through the night again? Will I actually be able to, I don’t know, one day, use the restroom without a child hanging from me?” But lately, I’ve been wanting to slam my feet on the brakes and just slow things down. I never, ever thought I’d say this. But now with little Colby—our third and last baby—I’m starting to realize how much I’m going to miss the baby years. (So much so that the bassinet we’ve used for our three sons, which Colby has grown out of, just sits sadly in my dining room, waiting for me to get the courage up to give it away. I can’t bring myself to do it.) Yes, there are things I won’t miss about the early years of mothering, but tonight as I was tucking them all in for bed—snuggling in with the 2 year old, who gave me the sweetest kisses; explaining to the 4 year old what toothpaste is made of; singing to the baby—I thought, oh my goodness, I love this stage of life.

Someone I know just tweeted a Calvin and Hobbes quote: “We’re so busy watching out for what’s just ahead of us that we don’t take the time to enjoy where we are.” And where I am right now is pretty good. Better than good. Great.

That’s all.

• June 18, 2011

…sweet…sigh…

• June 18, 2011

Beautiful, Sarah… But just so you know, six and a half is such a great age it’ll make you not miss the baby years at all – so fun!!!

• June 18, 2011
    Glenda (GLSD)

Beautiful! They do grow up fast so enjoy every minute of every day!

• June 18, 2011
    Jessica

🙂

• June 19, 2011

What a great post Sarah!

• June 20, 2011

Hi, Sarah, I am a first-time visitor to your blog. I wanted to come by to tell you that I devoured The Violets of March in one day. This is the first novel in a very long time that has really captured my attention. I totally LOVED it!!! You are a fabulous writer and a great storyteller.

I am a HUGE 1940’s freak, so that is what drew me to the book in the first place. I loved it so much that I am going to put it on my Facebook and my blog. (I do a classic movie blog and a more personal, “beautiful things” blog, and I’m putting it on the latter blog.)

And, finally, about this post…I relate to what you are saying, and I have written a few magazine articles about that very thing. (In homemaking/homeschooling magazines). Children grow up so fast…my kids are now 19 and 21…and although I love seeing the young adults they have become, I miss the little kid years with all my heart. I wish I had slowed down and enjoyed those years more, instead of being in a hurry for my kids to grow up so I could have more “me” time.

Blessings to you,
    Patti

• June 21, 2011

So sweet.
    I was just thinking yesterday how I’m not really living in the moment, especially when planning for the future. Floating is what I feel like. Not a good feeling but often goes undetected.

• June 22, 2011
    Pam

Beautiful post! 🙂 A great reminder that we should all relish and enjoy every phase of our lives! So easy to forget that, but the Calvin & Hobbes quote sums it up!

• June 23, 2011

This picture grabs at my heart.

• June 23, 2011

First off, obviously gorgeous is your middle name because you look way too good to have just had a baby in this photo. Second, awwwww… yea, not very articulate for someone who calls writing her trade. But sometimes words escape. Beautiful post, my dear. Xoxo