Our New House

Yesterday, we bought a new house. Well, an old house, with wonky plumbing, faulty electricity, and a faint smell of must in the air. But, it has the biggest, loveliest, sunny yard with lilacs, a prolific fig tree, plums, a Southern magnolia, Japanese maples, camellias and all kinds of wild strawberries, raspberries, herbs and irises. It’s in Seattle, a few blocks away from our current house, and we’re excited to build a new home for our family on the property. And so begins the dreaming and design phase! I’ll be sharing snippets of the process here, so you can follow along. Kitchen ideas! Paint swatches! Kids room concepts! A great big office with built-in bookcases for all of the books I currently have stacked in piles in my office (can’t wait!).

My parents built a house when I was 12, and I remember “helping” my dad work on it (hammering nails on the roof, even). Ever since, the idea of building a house from scratch has been in my blood. My husband and I have looked at all kinds of properties over the years, and nothing seemed just right until we found this house.

Now, to come up with a name for the house and property! I love how Martha Stewart names her homes (Skylands, Turkey Hill, etc.), and I adore Jane Green’s “Figless Manor.” What should we call our fledgling home? Because a little green tree frog was spotted on the property by the former owner, our 5-year-old wants to call it Frog Hollow. Hmm—not quite sure about that one!

More updates soon!

• May 25, 2012
    Sandy G

Sarah,
    Congrats on the new property and your future plans to build a house. The yard sounds lovely – reminds me of all the trees, flowers, and shrubs growing at my grandparents’ home.
    I actually like your son’s suggestion for a name!
    I can see your kitchen as mostly white with stainless appliances but with touches of cobalt blue, and a lot of windows. Oh, and a lot of shelving or countertops to hold all the vases of flowers.
    Are their blackberry bushes on the property – if so, Blackberry Hill or keeping with the theme your son started, Blackberry Hollow??

Sandy G

• May 25, 2012
    Kaylene

Sounds exciting and oh so wonderful, can’t wait to hear all about it. And keep reading your lovely posts!!! Have a wonderful weekend

• May 25, 2012

I totally think you should call it Violet Manor, or Violet Fields, in honor of your first book. I’m excited to see all the wonderful things going in and out of this new endeavor!

• May 25, 2012
    Glenda

Love Violet Manor in honor of your book!
    Congrats on the new home!!!
    Happy weekend!!!

• May 25, 2012
    Betty

How about Lily Lane? The flower for May is Lily of the Valley. It goes well with the fact the house was purchased in May.

• May 25, 2012

Sounds like an amazing property! You must be thrilled! I agree I’m liking adding your sons “hollow” to the name. I was thinking something like Blossoming Hollows.

Congratulations on your new home!

• May 25, 2012

congratulations sarah! that is so cool!! the name of your house has to be one word only. and it can’t be violets because you didn’t write your book there.

• May 25, 2012
    Jenn

Aww … congratulations! What a wonderful way to to kick off the summer – cannot wait to see the progress photos. I’m sure pintrest is going to get a workout ;o)

• May 25, 2012
    Meg Burkett

Congratulations! Been wondering whatever happened??? So happy for all of you, it sounds perfect….and you will have so much more time with Daddy there. Blessings!

• May 30, 2012

Congratulations! Can’t wait to see this process as it goes!