Book Club Idea: Host a Violets Party!

Hello lovelies! I was so excited when I heard from Tracie, a reader in Connecticut, who tweets here, about how her book club had read The Violets of March, and how they had planned an all-violet book club party for their discussion (think: table decked out with violets and purple food!). She even sent me a photo of the fun, with a bunch of gals sipping a blueberry cocktail! Love! This got me thinking about putting some ideas together for other book clubs who might be interested in hosting a Violets night similar to these trend-setters. And, here are my Violet-y suggestions:

The food: Go blue and purple! Think eggplant Parmesan and maybe these yummy mini blueberry cheesecakes!

For the cocktail: a lavender martini, of course! Here’s an interesting recipe. (Photo credit)

For music: Think 1940’s of course—the era when Esther and Elliot fell in love! Have Billie Holiday, Glenn Miller and other big band tunes playing when guests arrive.

For the decor: Violets of course, and maybe some sassy textiles/prints in violet shades for the table. Or you could go all out and do this (!), or, um, not!:

And, I will be most happy to call in and chat/answer questions! I love book clubs.

• July 7, 2011

I love this idea and may have to borrow it!

• July 7, 2011

We had such a blast with you last night! Who knew my little quirky all-violet Violets book club theme would take off. Now I can’t wait to read The Bungalow and plan a theme around that! 🙂

• July 12, 2011
    Tracy Grant

Hi Sarah!!!I a so excited to host my very first book club party!! And your book was our first pick!! We loved it. Our small little book club invite turned into about 24 girls..We live at the BEACH in Margate NJ. We are all moms and our friends through our children ages 8 and under. I Loved your book. LOVED IT!! I am doing the all lavender theme.. blueberry martinis, lavender colors throughout, I am even having violets delivered. And some pink rimmed white tulips!! (remember them) Is there anyway you could call in!! OMG !! That would be incredible!! my number is 609-226-5886. It would just be so amazing.. WE are all 30 something moms who love our families, love our friends, love living at the beach and WE LOVE TO READ!! The party starts at 7!!

• July 12, 2011
    Tracy Grant

Hi Sarah!!!I a so excited to host my very first book club party!! And your book was our first pick!! We loved it. Our small little book club invite turned into about 24 girls..We live at the BEACH in NJ. We are all moms and our friends through our children ages 8 and under. We Loved your book. LOVED IT!! I am doing the all lavender theme.. blueberry martinis, lavender colors throughout, I am even having violets delivered. And some pink rimmed white tulips!! (remember them) Is there anyway you could call in!! OMG !! That would be incredible!! It would just be so amazing.. WE are all 30 something moms who love our families, love our friends, love living at the beach and WE LOVE TO READ!! The party starts at 7!!Please email me and let me know!! Thanks so much! : )

• October 9, 2013
    Jill Wismer

Sarah!!!! I loved your book!!!! We have a small book club (5 of us) and would love to have you call in! My cell is 719-331-6011…if you want we can FaceTime!!! Our book club is meeting on Thurs. 10/17 @ 6:30 pm. to discuss The Violets of March! I have to tell you I was living through the pages as I experienced Bainbridge Island for the first time last summer and fell in love!!! Thanks for writing such a great book to enjoy!! Can’t wait to chat!! Jill Wismer

• March 6, 2014
    Jill

Loved your book! It was very suspenseful, keeping me on the edge until the end. I am hosting book club tonight to discuss Violets of March. I am part of an ever- growing group of expat lady friends based in Shanghai, China. We will enjoy discussing all the interesting characters of your book over some wine (and maybe tea!). Good suggestion on the music to set the mood.

• January 2, 2015

Hi! Our book club is having our meeting the second Monday in January! Anyway you could chat with us?

This book has been my favorite read so far! I absolutely fell in love with each character!

Hope to hear from you!